Mom Can’t Win: Job Edition

mom cant win job edition

We all know that us mamas have it rough sometimes. It’s difficult to juggle all the many things we have to do and the mommy guilt that is always lingering overhead for the things we just can’t get done. We are moms, and while we are superhuman, sometimes we have to make some really difficult decisions. At the moment, I am really struggling with working versus not working and I know I’m not alone.

I love staying home with my kiddo. If I were a millionaire, I’m not sure that I would do anything else. Being a stay-at-home mom is a dream of mine and has been since I was young. I know it isn’t as glorious as its cracked up to be, but I’d love to get to spend everyday with my son. I want to be there for every cry, laugh, sniffle, and boo boo. I want to be the first to see every new thing my little one ever does, ever. I don’t want him to ever have to go stay with a stranger so that mommy and daddy can go to work. Every moment that I’m away from him is a moment that I will never be able to get back, and that is a hard pill for me to swallow.

At the same time, I went to school for four and a half years (and took out more in loans than you or I want to discuss) to be a teacher and teaching is a passion of mine. I love it, and I think I am pretty good at it to boot. I’ve yet to find a job teaching, but I continue to search hoping that the perfect job will come available. There is something wonderful about teaching – it gives you a chance to be part of the future, to change lives for the better, and to build relationships in a way I never thought possible. It is wonderful and fulfilling career. I must admit though, part of me is apprehensive. Teachers have an incredible workload that many don’t realize. There is a ton of work done at school and then even more work put in at home. It is also physically and mentally tiring. Standing on your feet all day with few breaks is hard on the body but some of the agonizing things a teacher sees daily will absolutely rip your heart out.

What is a mom to do? Where do you compromise? If you stay home, you aren’t making any money (unless you can find an awesome work from home gig). If you go to work, you are missing out on your child’s milestones. Our solution, so far, has been for me to work part time while my husband works full time. That provides us with enough money to live, but we are both also able to be home with our baby. Of course, that isn’t a perfect option. There are things we would like to have that we can’t afford, there are moments that I miss that I would still rather be home. Sometimes, there are no perfect options. It’s hard being a mom, and this is just one of the many reasons why. But we are superhuman and we make decisions and we overcome! We are strong mamas and we will do whats best for our families.

Join the conversation! I’d love to hear how you deal with splitting your time between work and kids.

9 Comments

1. momlearningwithbaby

August 20, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Luckily got an option of Working from Home. So not missing anything on baby, no need to worry about his food or needs etc. And, not much to compromise . And little (very little though) extra money, just enough for me to buy toys and books (at least).

2. jennw076

August 20, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Man…this is totally something I think every mom can relate to. I went back to work for 4 months and I just couldn’t do it anymore. I quit my job and have been home now almost 7 months. We go without a lot of things we want but right now I know it’s the best thing for us, but I do feel bad no longer bringing in any income. And like you, I went to college and have student loans so it’s a tough choice.

3. Renee S

August 20, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I would love to say I would enjoy being a stay at home mommy, I’m just not positive I could do without my away time. I do always say though, if I didn’t HAVE to work, I wouldn’t.

1. thismomblogs

August 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm

I definitely agree to that point. I would probably go crazy, but a good crazy, if that makes any sense. I do enjoy my adult time, I just hate what I miss when I’m gone!

4. natsavallejo

August 20, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I’m going insane being a SAHM, I’d give to work a few hours a day. I loved this post so much. I really enjoy hearing from someone elses perspective. Keep going, You’re doing great.

1. thismomblogs

August 20, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Thanks! You, too. You rock, mama! Let’s switch lives every once and a while so we can each get our dose of work/home life! 😂

5. trouserbee

August 21, 2017 at 12:04 am

I’m gonna parrot the above – I think many Mumms can relate to this so thank you forputting it into words so well. There are heart wrenching decisions to be made some times and no right or wrong answer. At the moment i do some work from home but it’s certanly not raking in the cash and I STILL get Mum guilt. A wise friend of mine once said in hearing me out deciding if I should accept a particular job that ‘ look, you’re a mum, whatever decision you make there is going tbe some residual guilt..’ she was right but I wish she wasn’t. Anway the advice helped me to make a decison to do what i needed for my family and i at the time. Based on our needs rather than what I *should* do.

I too am interesting in teaching ( I write a bout a load of this stuff on my blog so feel free to check it out obvs.) So it’s good to get an honest perspective and reminder of the hard work. All the very best with your journey and if you find the magic formula do let us know!

1. thismomblogs

August 21, 2017 at 12:09 am

I will definitely check out your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine. You’re absolutely right, no matter what decision we make, there will be guilt. We just have to do the what we can and hope that’s enough!

6. Shannon

August 21, 2017 at 7:41 am

Ahhhhh…the classic work struggle, I remember it well. I’m a working Momma and yes, the guilt weighs heavy on me, but I’ve been able to enjoy all of my kids major milestones. For me, it’s all about the quality of time you have with your kids and not the quantity. That said, I’d still love lmore. Stay the course, the answer will reveal itself!